Skyrim - Home Of The Nords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skyrim - Home Of The Nords

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Landscapes of Skyrim

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Muspila
Hunter
Hunter
Muspila

Landscapes of Skyrim - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Landscapes of Skyrim   Landscapes of Skyrim - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 8:24 am

I guess you only need to project the half-transparent texture on a plane with double-sided faces. This works for me, at least. A few settings might need to be set in Max.
It can happen that something like this happens when you have several leaves in one object.

If you have an own object for each leave you'll most probably not have this problem. Otherwise there are still a few other means to deal with Alpha-Blending-Issues.

My own plant-models are, by the way, much crappier.
Back to top Go down
SGMonkey
Hunter
Hunter
SGMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Landscapes of Skyrim   Landscapes of Skyrim - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 8:45 am

Ha! Well thanks Smile

The thing with the transparency was that I was using multiple textures for the leaf, instead of using a .dds with an alpha channel.
Guess im so used to designing for my own games and projects, it works very different in the Morrowinds engine

Not had alot of time to get stuff done, should get this model finished today, and ready to be sent of to lestat to nifskope it, (cant stand nifskope Razz)

They will keep coming anyway, when's anyone else gonna start submitting work? Razz
Back to top Go down
Muspila
Hunter
Hunter
Muspila

PostSubject: Re: Landscapes of Skyrim   Landscapes of Skyrim - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 10:27 am

Back to top Go down
Muspila
Hunter
Hunter
Muspila

PostSubject: Re: Landscapes of Skyrim   Landscapes of Skyrim - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 1:09 pm

When SGMonkey and me chatted yesterday, we came to the opinion that it would be nice to have an own landscape-setup for each hold.
This would mean that each hold features an own range of rocks, ground-textures and plants.

We would mostly use the same rocks and boulders over and over again, but with various textures . In addition each hold would have some unique rock formations. The Reach would have canyons, for example. Mostly it would be a matter of getting a fitting range of textures for each region. An own range of plants for each hold was planned anyway, so the amount of additional work shouldn't be that enormous.

Seeing that there are textures that need to be used throughout Skyrim, like snow and Ice, we can't think of a complete change of textures between regions (as it is on Vvardenfell). I wouldn't even say that, for example, a certain range of rocks needs to be unique to one region. Rather I thought that we define a range of landscape-art for each hold, but the art-pieces themselves don't need to be in only one hold.

And what I also thought, was that we could try to let the landscape differ from Solstheim how more we get to the west. The eastern parts of Skyrim could mostly have the same trees, shrubs etc. as Solstheim. But the more we get to the west, the more other elements would gradually show up, finally resulting in a completely different picture. The Reach then wouldn't have anything left that's from Solstheim.

Ok, this is the idea so far. Of course, I want to hear what you think about it.

I've had a look at the range of herbs on Vvardenfell. A region on Vvardenfell has approximately 6 different container-plants. Most of them are unique to their region, but some also show up in several regions. There are bushes, flowers, mushrooms, lichens, tubers, ferns, grains and others.

Let's not try to copy that range of categories for Skyrim, but let's try to include some more different groups, not only flowers (I've made most of them, admittedly). I think fruitbearing bushes and trees are of particular importance. Then we need, in fact, some more mushrooms, tubers and grass-like plants.
All in all one hold could get about 8 different alchemical plants.
Back to top Go down
SGMonkey
Hunter
Hunter
SGMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Landscapes of Skyrim   Landscapes of Skyrim - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 1:26 pm

I think the major thing that would make the work flow much easier, would be to name the rocks for each terrain region to the region they should appear in, much like in the vanilla game

for example
terrain_rock_ac_01
terrain_rock_ai_01
terrain_rock_bc_01

And so on...
1) this would make things alot more organised

and 2) it would be alot easier for newer members who join to find what it is they are looking for to do a particular claim

And I think this should be our priority, getting this done and sorted should be number one because the later we leave it the more work we are making for ourselves

And I know I know, I can't stop mentioning it but I think its really important Smile

EDIT: And then we need to decide, or know exactly how we want each region to appear, basically what each region is going to be like and why.

Then we can further decide what kind of plantlife we want in each region
Back to top Go down
Muspila
Hunter
Hunter
Muspila

PostSubject: Re: Landscapes of Skyrim   Landscapes of Skyrim - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 2:25 pm

I don't know if it wouldn't get too complicated if the ID's were explicitly related to regions.
I would give them some descriptive names but not related to regions.

To have an assignment of landscape-art to regions, I would prefer having an open-availible list that modders can use for reference. Most things won't belong to only one region either.
Back to top Go down
Lestat DeLioncourt
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Landscapes of Skyrim   Landscapes of Skyrim - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 5:08 pm

Some Unique Rocks for every region is a good idea...

But I guess sorting the terrain rock in regions make less sense, cause we have 9 different holds and some hold share the same rocks.

For example...

The whole coastline (Haafinheim, Northshore, Winterhold) and The Reach use the Rock texture Tx_Skyrim_rock_04.dds

Falkreath and Whitehold ise Tx_Skyrim_rock_02.dds

The Pale and The Rift use Tx_Skyrim_rock_01,dds

and Eastmarch Tx_Skyrim_rock_03,dds

For me it makes much more sense sorting the rock to their Textures.

like:

Sky_Terrain_Rock_01_xxx
Sky_Terrain_Rock_02_xxx
Sky_Terrain_Rock_03.xxx
Sky_Terrain_Rock_04_xxx

For The Reach...

I'll start the great Reach Overhaul in 2 or 3 weeks and it's very easy to delete the pine trees from this region and make The Reach a pure Leave Tree Region.

It would be great if Muspila and SGMonkey could provide 1 or 2 new selections of new leave trees before I start to overhaul the region. ( Maybe new models or extremly modified vanilla models)

Ground Textures:

Every Region USE different ground textures so far
Back to top Go down
SGMonkey
Hunter
Hunter
SGMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Landscapes of Skyrim   Landscapes of Skyrim - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 2:18 am

That's cool, i didnt realise more than one region would use the same kind of rock, so its probably best to have the kind of rocks names on the type of rock they are like you said.

So in theory there will be 4 of each rock mesh, just re-textured.

Anyway, ive started making my best interpretation of the data files we have so far, and i have to admit, i think there are quite a few models (especially creatures) that we could do without. Muspila suggested that anything we didnt need right now or arent using yet would be best kept to the side, as a just in case sorta thing

Ill post a folder tree later when ive finnished if anyone's interested
Back to top Go down
Muspila
Hunter
Hunter
Muspila

PostSubject: Re: Landscapes of Skyrim   Landscapes of Skyrim - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 2:33 pm

Back to top Go down
Muspila
Hunter
Hunter
Muspila

PostSubject: Re: Landscapes of Skyrim   Landscapes of Skyrim - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 6:19 am

I've adjusted the lightness of the textures of the trees above. In addition a few more trees have been made.
https://2img.net/h/i52.photobucket.com/albums/g23/Worsas/trees-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
dirnae
Gurad
Gurad
dirnae

PostSubject: Re: Landscapes of Skyrim   Landscapes of Skyrim - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 10:26 am

Do you know how to make billboards in Blender, Muspila?
There's a tutorial on the Bethesda forums if you want me to dig it out for you.

Not all people like Billboarded trees, but I defintely think we could have them as an option.
I wasn't a fan myself, until I was convinced by zackg's work just how good billboarded trees can look.

On that subject, did zackg ever send you those awesome looking trees Lestat?

Also, for transparency on textures, use the flag settings in NifSkope to stop Alpha channel fighting.
https://2img.net/h/i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu195/mark507_album/stuff/Untitled-2.png

I suggest tweaking the threshold value to get the best results.

pirat
Back to top Go down
Muspila
Hunter
Hunter
Muspila

PostSubject: Re: Landscapes of Skyrim   Landscapes of Skyrim - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 1:38 pm

Yes, technically I'm able to make Billboard trees. I've never been really thrilled about my results, though.
The trees by Zackg are in the data and they are going to be used in Winterhold afaik. I've also made some variations of those trees for Lestat. All in all we (me and lestat when we talked over Skype) were at a point that we said that we are going to use both billboard trees and the more vanilla-like ones together.

Eitherway thankyou for the advises given. Smile
Back to top Go down
Muspila
Hunter
Hunter
Muspila

PostSubject: Re: Landscapes of Skyrim   Landscapes of Skyrim - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 8:54 am

I'm sorry for challenging you, Lestat.
When I was speaking about a lore-friendly Skyrim in my perception, I referred to how Bethesda possibly would have made it with the graphical standards from back then.
It was also a bit about a world that feels like "all of a piece". But that's something where I constantly repeat myself anyway.

Quote :
That not very far away from what I have planned to do in the eastmarch...The color sheme is very similar, also we could use Roobush, Heather and Stoneflower in that region...The land is much more rugged and changes between mountains and deep valleys. Snow is old in the higher areas of the Eastmarch and the forest in that hold is not very dense and much more rocky.

That sounds like something I'm going to like.

Apart from my objections I had, Im very convinced of Haafinheim Forest and most of those objections weren't justified either.
Back to top Go down
dirnae
Gurad
Gurad
dirnae

PostSubject: Re: Landscapes of Skyrim   Landscapes of Skyrim - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 9:31 am

They seemed justified to me.

Look guys, theres no need to be pushovers with each other as far as I see it, if you want to discuss and argue a point, then go ahead.
We're all mature here (I hope Wink ), so we should be able to discuss things as long as we're polite, and don't be surprised if I bring things like this up in the future and "challenge" and "attack" Lestat (are these terms even correct? I mean no one was blatantly going against the guy, just making suggestions), because it's not that I'm trying to antagonise anyone, I'm just worried about certain areas and their issues.

If anything, imo discussion and criticism will only make Skyrim better. We've just got to learn to take it with a pinch of salt and let it improve the mod.
Back to top Go down
Muspila
Hunter
Hunter
Muspila

PostSubject: Re: Landscapes of Skyrim   Landscapes of Skyrim - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 2:34 pm

Thanks for saying this, Marc. It made me think.
Back to top Go down
dirnae
Gurad
Gurad
dirnae

PostSubject: Re: Landscapes of Skyrim   Landscapes of Skyrim - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 3:51 pm

Hey, it's Mark with a 'k', as in the second gospel Mark, and you're not supposed to use my real name Joel. tongue
I didn't want to sound condescnding (though I probably did, sorry,) or annoying in my last post, but I do think we should feel at ease discussing and arguing a little.

Anyway, back on topic, how many woods are named in lore on Skyrim?
There are places called Dragon Wood, Vernim Wood, Oak Wood, and Riverwood on the Arena map, but are these even actual woods, or towns?
It seems to imply they are towns, though the names suggest otherwise. scratch

I suppose the towns would be named for the forests around them anyway, though it'd be nice to clear that up.

Interestingly, the name 'Oak Wood' does suggest that there are oak trees (and so probably even deciduous forests too) in areas other than the Reach in Skyrim (though probably smallish).
Which is good for me because a live next to some deciduous/coniferous woodland.
Back to top Go down
Lestat DeLioncourt
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Landscapes of Skyrim   Landscapes of Skyrim - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 4:52 pm

dirnae wrote:
Hey, it's Mark with a 'k', as in the second gospel Mark, and you're not supposed to use my real name Joel. tongue
I didn't want to sound condescnding (though I probably did, sorry,) or annoying in my last post, but I do think we should feel at ease discussing and arguing a little.

Anyway, back on topic, how many woods are named in lore on Skyrim?
There are places called Dragon Wood, Vernim Wood, Oak Wood, and Riverwood on the Arena map, but are these even actual woods, or towns?
It seems to imply they are towns, though the names suggest otherwise. scratch

I suppose the towns would be named for the forests around them anyway, though it'd be nice to clear that up.

Interestingly, the name 'Oak Wood' does suggest that there are oak trees (and so probably even deciduous forests too) in areas other than the Reach in Skyrim (though probably smallish).
Which is good for me because a live next to some deciduous/coniferous woodland.

All 4 locations are villages/ cities...they had nothing to do with any forest (in Arena) ..Oak Wood is the first Village that you will enter after you've left the dungeon (If you play a Nord) in Arena...Btw. Awesome Game
Back to top Go down
dirnae
Gurad
Gurad
dirnae

PostSubject: Re: Landscapes of Skyrim   Landscapes of Skyrim - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 3:03 am

So the names have no significance? I mean surely a place called Oak Wood would have oak trees? Question

Or is it just more Elder Scrolls craziness?
I think a town with wood in the name should be in or near a forest personally, but we'll stick to whatever was in Arena if you want. What a Face

The only reason I'm wary against it is that my understanding was that Arena didn't have a true exterior world, just large areas which looped, and you couldn't actually go from A to B on foot. I'll find the quote about this later.

Here it is: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?showtopic=996000&st=0&p=14399572&hl=Arena%20looped&fromsearch=1&#entry14399572
Apparently Arena just generates exteriors as you go, which is why I'm wary about using it.
Back to top Go down
Lestat DeLioncourt
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Landscapes of Skyrim   Landscapes of Skyrim - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 3:47 am

dirnae wrote:
So the names have no significance? I mean surely a place called Oak Wood would have oak trees? Question

Or is it just more Elder Scrolls craziness?
I think a town with wood in the name should be in or near a forest personally, but we'll stick to whatever was in Arena if you want. What a Face

The only reason I'm wary against it is that my understanding was that Arena didn't have a true exterior world, just large areas which looped, and you couldn't actually go from A to B on foot. I'll find the quote about this later.

Here it is: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?showtopic=996000&st=0&p=14399572&hl=Arena%20looped&fromsearch=1&#entry14399572
Apparently Arena just generates exteriors as you go, which is why I'm wary about using it.

I guess giving the villages including "Wood" in their name a forest close their loacation makes sense...Off course, Arena Exterior are looped and generated because of the techical limitations in 1994..

Dragon Wood and Vernim Wood are in the Eastmarch and Eastmarch is forested to 70-80%, esspecially the Valleys...Riverwood and Oakwood are in The Pale...adding a forest (and a River Very Happy ) should be no problem as soon as those areas will be worked out.
Back to top Go down
dirnae
Gurad
Gurad
dirnae

PostSubject: Re: Landscapes of Skyrim   Landscapes of Skyrim - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 9:11 am

That sounds great, thanks for clearing that up and sorting it out. Smile
Back to top Go down
wollibeebee
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Landscapes of Skyrim   Landscapes of Skyrim - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 9:15 pm

SGMonkey wrote:
Are you on windows messenger atall? Thought it would be good to arrange a group chat sometime so we can discuss some things in depth

Sound like a good idea?

bwahaha! man, this forum is so nostalgic, even though i wasn't here
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Landscapes of Skyrim   Landscapes of Skyrim - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Landscapes of Skyrim
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2